Have we got a good recipe for you! This is quickly becoming a favorite in the Coyle household. This recipe packs plenty of protein with a healthy amount of carbs and fat. It's well balanced; just like your diet should be! Besides being nutritious, this recipe packs a ton of flavor as well. Roasted Pesto Chicken with Smashed Crispy Potatoes is a winner for sure!
1 whole chicken
Pesto of your choice (I used a dairy/nut free, heavy on the garlic variety ☺)
Dozen small potatoes-red or Yukon gold work great
Avocado or Olive oil
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the chicken down both sides of the backbone with kitchen shears, break the wishbone and flatten the chicken, breast side up, on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Separate the chicken skin from the meat with your hand, liberally rub the skin and beneath the skin with pesto doing your best to get the pesto under the skin to cover as much of the meat as possible.
- Liberally salt and pepper the outside of the chicken and rub in.
- Place chicken in oven and cook 45-60 minuntes until the internal temp of the chicken breast is 165 degrees.
- While chicken is cooking prep potatoes.
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until fork tender. This can be done earlier in the day as well.
- Allow taters to cool.
- Place taters on a medium dark baking sheet, sprinkle oil across sheet so bottom of pan is lightly coated in oil, rub oil on taters.
- Use a spatula or serving fork to smash potatoes on pan, organizing them so taters are not touching each other. Taters may break apart and that is ok.
- Season with garlic salt and pepper and lightly coat tops of taters with avocado or olive oil.
- Place in oven at 425 and turn taters every 12min until they reach your desired crispiness (typically 30-40min total time).
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme and serve with chicken.